Tuesday, September 30, 2008

DIY/Guerilla Hurricane Books



For my project I created a quick booklet with some information on what to expect and guidelines for hurricanes.  I made it with the premise that it was something small and to the point that could be taken with ease if need be.  I didn't have much "in situ" to document but above are just a couple of pictures of the finished books and then all packaged up to be sent to various locations of Louisiana and Texas at local chapters of The American Red Cross and The United Way.  Somehow my mailing pictures are missing (due to me dropping the camera prior and them not saving on my card, but in the camera battery, so smart!! But as soon as I can retrieve them I will add them in this post, not too exciting but still part of the process.)  I created my books with InDesign, my first run at the program, and I wish I had pictures of me crying at the computer every 5 seconds.  In retrospect it was probably better than my first choice of PhotoShop but it was a good learning experience and in the end creating a much better product. I sent them off with a little letter and background on the project, hopefully I'll receive some responses and feedback from them, that would make it all rewarding on my part. I'm sure I could also create a read-online version from my PDF file on a blog type website open for further input, that way the information is out there and people could print it for theirselves at their leisure.  I really enjoyed this project, it was fun, I learned some new things.  Ideally if these ended up being helpful, and that I could compile some more in depth help and guides I would love to create them with something like Blurb Books so they could be bought when wanted, perhaps on a donation type basis.  I'm happy with my end result, even though my more sustainable materials, like Tyvek paper didn't lend  much help, the book is still pretty durable and waterproof, with the small on the go and lightweight size.  Overall I'm very happy with my turnout on this project, I'd love to add some more to it at a later time, and further explore ways to shed light on this social issue.  

No comments: