Friday, September 26, 2008

AAR : Deconstruct/Reconstruct.

Sustains:
  • Implementing brass plates into the die; I worked very hard for symmetrical dies, but felt even with immense attention to detail and work at filing and correcting flaws, the brass plates helped with human error.
  • Overall chasing force/weight.  Not too hard; not too easy, could be more fine-tuned, but overall a uniformed quality; easier to deal with in the long run
  • Trial and error - I wasn't afraid to push the metal to the limit; I tried out the natural rubber on my pieces; something I had yet to do in tests; that technique also helped to mend an accidental hammer blow while chasing.  It wasn't the greatest time to try out a new variable, but it worked, and now I will add it into the process for my next project to get even more volume.
Improves:
  • Get the die right first THEN glue together.  I came up with a very precise; symmetrical, and easily manipulated form for my exercise.  However I did not start with brass plates, only added after the masonite modification to fit the plexi, which lead to a series of modifications and design tweak.  
  • Create better templates for cutting die to cut down on many variables
  • Go with better form
  • Decking technique - work and filing/sanding to fit better; show less glue/gaps; blend together
  • Cutting die/ die forms efficiently, larger overall die. I'd rather not have such a tiny form,  it made it a lot harder to cut and manipulate.
What Ifs:
  • Correct die formation process; that would have lead to the more interesting end result/form
  • Better bonding techniques applied.
  • If the die was a bit larger scale I feel I could have gotten a much better outcome.
  • My first 2-3 forms were by far the most successful, well constructed pieces all around. They were the best pressed sheets, chased better than the rest, cut to size, and not painfully hard to combine, with little sanding to fit.

No comments: