Thursday, September 11, 2008

Arthur Hash is AMAZING!!!!!

"This stuff is so cool"  I wonder how many times I said that in the last 3 hours or so!


Ok so I just looked at my phone and went "holy shit its 10:00 is that possible?" I was at school for roughly 13 hours then came home and talked like crazy for an hour with my mom about Arthur Hash.  Sadly, I was hoping to come home to my plexiglass, because on top of my ideas I'm crazy inspired and excited after listening to Arthur Hash talk.

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE casting, probably my favorite metal working technique (that I have learned) by far.  But I'm also drawn to the acrylic jewelry and casted 2 part plastics.  I did some experimenting with that last year, and I need some more work but its fun and effective.  And die forming made me want to make my own plexi creations.  Far end of the spectrum of casting, but I love the look.

Arthur's stuff was just so great!  I love all of it, and he is just such a cool person, so funny, and down to earth, very nice, and upfront about everything; such a great thing to hear!  I like all the different materials he utilizes, reminded me of our alternative materials project in metalsmithing.  The hot glue necklace was gorgeous.  But I LOVE all of his brooches.  The whole series from the digital photos was so ingenious; I love the installation display.  The pink chainsaws were so much fun too!  (Can't wait to see what our new powder coating machine can do!!! Now I'm REALLY excited for that demo!)  And the mixers; come on, that was just too cool.  I'm jealous I really want one.  The forms are so simple, yet effective.  I've been sketching what I want from my plexi creations and I'm striving for that same simple yet graphic quality; the 2D aspect works so well with the objects!  I'm only more inspired now. And when I saw the machine gun image in the slideshow I was so excited; I'm still not beyond making my red AK-47/guns charm bracelet (funny thing is my crappy first try Michael's resin ones are actually dry now, only how many months too late for Blood Diamonds!)  So one of my sketches is an array of guns, planned out for the red plexi.

So here are just a few pictures of some of my favorite pieces.  I absolutely love the ring thats plastic cured in the bag; I would definitely wear that.  (I'm such a ring freak, just bought a new poppi ring this week!  I have so many rings I can't keep track of which ones to wear)  The form in that is so awesome, like Jeff Koons' balloon animals, I love the crinkles and seams in the bag as well as the transparent coloring.  And of course the pop out ring; I immediately pulled up the etsy site to see if I could buy one of these, unfortunately they aren't up on there; but they are so great!  Hopefully they'll go back up.  I really hope he does get ACC; I'm sure I'll be shelling out some serious money! This was one of the best experiences and most excited I've been about making my own stuff for a while, I feel like its all coming full circle and by the end of this semester I'll have many more skills and will be cranking out some stuff for my personal portfolio/collection that are of nice defined skills to be proud of.  Tonight was awesome, great info, inspiration, and cake (thanks Liz!!!)

Now I'm just bummed out that my plexi isn't here; I'm sure it will come when I'm away for the weekend in Deep Creek, but then I'll come home with even more ideas, since that ALWAYS inspires me up there; it is so beautiful!  I'll be blogging some more in a few minutes for social design; I'm on a roll tonight.

No comments: