Saturday, September 6, 2008

CAUTION: Danielle on Caffeine

I rarely drink coffee, I love the taste but it tends to make me sick.  If i drink iced coffee I'm ok though. So this morning I took a huge tumbler of iced coffee to my Saturday morning class. Then on the way home I stopped at Starbucks to grab something to eat quick, and a smoothie with 2 shots of espresso (bad move, should have known by the look on the girls face when I ordered it)  Needless to say I'm wired, came home and went through all my new books for school, and talked endlessly.   Then all kinds of ideas started flowing as I was going through my die forming samples and explaining it all to my mother.   

This is haphazard but anyway; I thought cutting plexiglass would be hell, but it wasn't at all.  I've always been attracted to clear/see through objects forever, and plexiglass/acrylics are no exception.  I love its uses and I have some great jewelry from it and its counterparts (see my Opulent Project earring post, AWESOME!) Another good example is Alex + Chloe, I have their Kate Moss necklace, but I just love all of their stuff, simple, easy, and fun! - check it out:http:www.alexandchloe.com/online_shop/ Then I started thinking on what I could do with it myself, immediately I thought of Ponoko, but that was too direct for me; I want to get my hands dirty and do it myself the old fashion way; jump right in!  I was trying to think how I could utilize this for a current project; but didn't rack my brain too hard, I figure I'll use this more to make stuff for the sales and whatnot, then came the frantic sketchbook grab and listing the possible subjects and quick doodles.  Then I googled colored plexiglass and found a site called Estreetplastics which has a great array of great priced options, so I'm definitely ordering a vast variety of colors and going to play and run with my ideas (for $3-6 a sheet how could I resist?) The more I think the more excited I get.  Just thought I'd share my impulse wave of creativity on this rainy saturday!

Now the coffee's caught the bad of me, now I'm really shaky, but thankfully not nauseated like usual, but still a nut, I think I could go run a marathon (in the rain) So I'm about to go eat with my boyfriend, then I'm dragging him to Home Depot to buy some plexiglass to play around with, then later I'm sure I'll take myself even more broke ordering the fun stuff!  All thanks to hydraulic dye forming; there's a new insight on my creative process; the wacky tangents I go on, but I think this one could lead me somewhere for once!

1 comment:

Katy Ginger said...

Danielle you are awesome. And hilarious. I love the idea of colorful plexiglass and making jewelry out of it. Ever since I saw those chandelier earrings you had I've been looking for jewelry similar to it. I can't wait to see what you do with it.