Thursday, April 3, 2008

mind bomb

This is how I feel right now.  Throbbing migrane thanks to having some crying breakdowns yesterday (I tend to let things build up and when it gets to all I can take you could throw a pebble at me and I'd cry, and I did ALOT of that yesterday, thanks to an insensitive boyfriend) Then my best friend dropped out of our trip to New York this weekend, which really bummed me out, but I've decided I'm going anyway and am determined to have a great time!  That little caricature of my brain right now would be "Frazzled Kiki" a stuffed toy created by Takashi Murakami sold in conjunction with the Murakami exhibit, I have the feeling that I'll be broke by Saturday afternoon after attending the show.  But I'm beyond excited to go see this!  

Anyway onto a lighter/happier/more excited not, I just walked out of class where we learned about our next project.  As soon as I saw the different examples of materials and read "glass" my mind went wild.  Lately I've been thinking of creating some type of interchangeable/buildable glass ring.  Who knows where that will go with the creative process to tactile object, but my mind went crazy half way through the lecture and all I could think about were some possible outcomes using glass and other materials.  Ever since I was young I've been drawn to things that are shiny or see through (hence jewelry major).  Over the years I amassed a pretty awesome rock collection.  I'd come home from school everyday with pockets full of rocks, while all the other kids spent recess on the jungle gym, I dug through the sand and walked by the pond finding the latest 'treasure.'  My parents grew very sick of this by about 3rd grade, but used to it as well, it would be time to do the laundry I'd unveil my latest finds from my pockets, and throw them with the rest.  My dad would always take me to the nature store, and it was months of begging and begging until I got a nice chunk of amethyst crystals, but in the mean time he'd buy me random pieces of stuff and tons of agates (to this day theres still a bag of them sitting on the floor of the laundry room in plain sight that neither my mom or I tend to move)  Somewhere along the line I was fascinated by glass too, then the bad habit of collecting broken shards of glass formed.  My parents REALLY hated this because they figured I would slice my hands open at any given moment, when I don't believe I ever did.  Glass amazes me, it is the one other subject I'd really like to explore and incorporate into my techniques.  In highschool we had to make photo frames for photo class, I jumped at the opportunity to go and smash some glass plates and throw them down and glue them back together.  Right now I'm thinking of going somewhere with that approach with this project.


Having such a crappy day yesterday really makes me want to run to Anthropologie after school and pick up some cups to go home and throw around to see what I can come up with.  I'm not one to destroy things with anger, (although I've broken 2 cell phones by throwing them at the floor) I'm thinking it might be fun.  Last time I put the plates in an old towel after the initial 'throw' and went to town with a hammer.  So I'm thinking with the money in my wallet, some serious gloves (lesson learned last time) and some safety goggles I'm going to experiment with what I can come up with.  Below are some glasses that I absolutely LOVE.  Anthropologie and Pier 1 are such danger zones for me.  I always want to buy these glasses, but never do.  They'd make such elegant table settings, and to me they're almost too pretty.  I love their form and detailing.  Thats exactly why I want to take them out of context, if I feel they're too pretty to buy thats stupid, now I'm going to buy them for the sole purpose of destroying them.  There's some metaphors there; as a society we hold a lot of things in high regard when really they're not so.  Golden example: diamonds, we know through our Blood Diamond research that they aren't rare, but we exalt them and buy them at the horribly gauged prices anyway because we have to have them.  So for the sake of me holding that cup as 'sacred' in a way, too pretty to own in my fear of ruining it somehow, I want to do just that.  Casting motto: "Never Say Die", ok that works, if I kill the cup as it being a cup, now I'm left with beautiful shards of glass, the cup's gone, but I have a whole new resource of wealth.  The glass doesn't have to be trashed and end there, that's when I want to transform it.  As of yet I don't know where the glass pieces go from there but I'll figure that out later.


So after all this rambling, I'm going to go buy my pretty glasses to break up, preferrably after I write my 5 page paper thats due today that I haven't started yet, as a therapeutic action.  I think this is going to be so much fun, and some great outcomes.  I really want to explore glass as my main material and integrate it with metal and possibly wood or plastics.  Of course I don't know how to cast glass, but that will be a research point, theres SO MANY options and uses of glass.  I want to learn more of its creation and uses and its regard to everyday life.  I'm So excited for this project!!!!!!!

1 comment:

ohsherri said...

I soo need one of those dolls. Very cute. Reminds me of some of my crazier anime stuff that I horde!