Monday, April 7, 2008

i LOVE Murakami...tons of pictures!!!

on the way...

Manhattan Bridge...hanging out the sunroof taking pictures was fun!

^ getting closer!!!
^ cool buildings
^ fun door and graffiti into someones apartments
^ fun fire escapes
^ Loved the green/rusty building
^ Cherry blossoms in the museum parking lot
^ And the fun begins....huge sculpture in the lobby, I love this little mad guy!...only photos I got to take, no pictures allowed in the exhibit, although I found a bunch online this morning and they're later on...




^ SO COOL!!!!

;^ Diamond District...didn't get to go through, my mom wanted to leave :(  Below are the pics I found online that someone snapped at the exhibit
Eyelove Superflat - awesome in person!  I always liked this with the eyes and have this on my computer, but in person the black background is actually covered with glitter, so fun!
^ this was a great sketch of a huge work on another wall near by, I loved that this was here because I love to see the planning artists put into their works, this had all kinds of notes and scribbles among it, plus it was about 30 pieces of paper taped together and severely crumbled up, great juxtaposition to the perfectly polished pics on the walls!
^ one of my favorites Tan Tan Bo Puking aka Gero Tan
^ Another favorite (speaking of 'favorites' every time I turned a corner and walked into a new room I would exclaim "Oh my God, mom come here this is my absolute favorite"  After the 7th or 8th time I said that she just cracked up and said I obviously had no idea what an absolute favorite meant, apparently I had way too many favorites!)  This would be And Then and then and then and then (Red) Takashi Murakami's creation Dob character is pictured. 
^ my goodies that I bought, I had to ask for the big Jellyfish Eyes bag, because I only bought 2 postcards and a pin, I already owned the catalog, but now I'm regretting not buying more things, but I DEFINITELY want to go back at least once, probably twice before its over.
^ some more of my "favorites"  727-727 (don't quote me on that!) Kiki pin and Dob postcard

My mom asked,  "So was this a dream come true?" And yes, it REALLY was.  Ever since your young you go on museum field trips since 1st grade, and they don't really sink in, then you realize you like art and their a bit more fun, but a trip to the zoo would prove as a better option in grade school.  Then you get to college and make frequent trips for the mandatory papers on a Greek Vase or Master painting of a teachers choice.  Granted I love Warhol, and getting to see his stuff and a Jeff Koons bunny amidst the 'paper' piece is fun, but I've never just wanted to go to a museum for a real purpose.  When I caught wind of this Murakami exhibit in LA I wanted to go so bad!  That didn't happen and I was bummed out then about a month ago I found out this was going to New York, there was NO WAY I was passing this up before it goes to Europe to Germany and Spain in following years.  I decided to go the first day it was open to the public, and I'm SO happy I did.  Murakami is definitely my favorite artist, its so cool that he's a contemporary artists and gets to partake in all the hype around him, unlike some of the greats celebrated long after their time.  I had the catalog since Christmas, but that doesn't do the works justice at all.  The colors are so vibrant in real life, and the pieces are GIGANTIC, its so surreal!  I can't say enough on how great this was!  I'll be back up for sure before it closes to see how many more people I can drag with me and experience this.  My mom said she was blown away because she had only flipped through the catalog she bought me, but she said she's got such an appreciation for all of it now and just keeps saying that he's a genius, and he really is.  Definitely check this out, only $8 for students, not too far of a drive, or take a bus for about $34!

I also bought the book Blood Diamonds by Greg Campbell Friday night and started reading that on the way up (yes I'm actually READING a book, I hate reading assigned 'book report' type books, but when its something that really interests me I read like crazy)  Not too far into it because I was a bit ADD on the way up but it is so good, everyone should read it!  Also I get to pick up my diamonds monday, so I'm getting really excited!!!!  I can't wait until I have my bracelets to wear!!!!

No comments: