Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Blood Diamond Project


I've been spending a lot of my insomniac time researching this project, which I'm REALLY looking forward to.  Last Summer I watched the documentary and was shocked and wanted to learn more.  Later on I saw the movie Blood Diamond and I was so inspired to do something.  I kept telling everyone I could about the movie and more so the real actions that were happening because of this, to me it made such an impact and immediately the first reaction was that I wanted to create jewelry in regards to this.

As I was re-painting and organizing my room I stumbled upon my personal jewelry design sketchbook and stumbled upon my initial journal reaction to the movie, which was as follows:
Blood Diamond Reaction 9/24/2007.
"What an unbelievably inspirational movie...especially  to me since becoming a jeweler is my life's passion.  I only wish I had the power and money to create the design idea in my head to sell and donate the profits to helping rebuild and fund those affected by the circulation of blood diamonds and to prevention efforts of conflict gems in Africa and beyond.  I seriously wish as 1 person that I could make even the tiniest impact to help on such a huge problem that has been overshadowed by our society.  If someone only knew the lives cost to wear the diamond on their fingers, wrists, ears, or necks...that price is far more valuable than the stone itself...unreal!  It was such an eye opening and enlightening movie that has sparked my interest and creativity and I hope that one day I can put it into practice."

My initial idea/image for a piece that popped into my head would not be a real possibility for this project, because I wanted it dripping in diamonds, rubies, and garnets, since I don't have the means, skills to set stones, or money for that idea I'll let my creativity run free for some new ideas. Looking back, I still feel as passionately about this, I was so excited to find that this would be one of our focuses this semester, and even if I can't go on with my real project I'm constantly finding new ideas to bring my feelings to life. 
 
My creative process is always a big jumble of ideas that can hit me at any time and if I don't have a notebook to jot things down I've learned that I loose them forever,  in lieu of that I've learned to keep a small journal with me at all times for those purposes, incase I'm out and see an artist, store, website, etc. that I can take note of and revisit later on.  Sometimes I'll run out without my little notebooks and in that case I'll create a memo in my phone with guide words or quotes as I would my notebooks and sketchbooks and as soon as I get home jot them onto paper so they won't be lost.  This project brings a new ideas constantly whether I'm thinking about it or not.  I can be driving or out at dinner and out of nowhere see something that sparks an idea and I'll jot it down,  I've learned a lot from doing this, I used to ignore those impulses especially if I would be out with my friends or family, but I know now its always better to react right then so I won't forget my thought, and now everyone has gotten used to this if I just scream "OH!" and start typing away in my phone or fiddle through my bag for a notebook and pen, then they just smile and laugh.  Also looking through magazines always fuels more ideas.  I have many sketchbooks just filled with clippings, all with different categories: jewelry, beauty ideas, interior design, and other random designs I find appealing.

This project is a really fun and enjoyable one, I think my hardest decision will be bringing it down to only one idea to fabricate.

No comments: